Wednesday, March 4, 2015

1 Month Home

Today is our 1st month home celebration.  In some ways it doesn't feel like we have been home that long but then in many ways it feels like it has been two months.  The last two weeks we have been to the medical doctor and eye doctor.  Drawing blood from a terrified 7 year old isn't for the faint of heart!  I decided that after the eye doctor I was only going to take one at a time.  Shane would get nervous and Selah reads him like a book which would cause her to have a crying fit.  I was wore out after trying to translate or act out what needed to be done and trying to comfort a crying girl who still didn't like me.  We weren't a pretty sight leaving the eye doctor!!  Live and learn!  Anyway we learned what this mom already knew after years of having kids and that is she needs glasses.  I can't wait to get them on her so she can discover her new world.  Trying to get her to understand how to take care of them sounds rather hard through.  Shane continues to like going to school with his 8 other classmates and enjoys his teacher a lot.  His English is getting better all the time even through he's still embarrassed to try it much around Andrew & I.  He does communicate a lot with Branson.  He likes to say naughty boys and then they all laugh or I have heard him say shut your eyes when its bedtime.  His teacher told me that he says he likes his new family, the trampoline, the 4-wheeler, and the farm.  Thank you Jesus!!  Yesterday a mandarin speaking friend of my friend came out to our house for a couple hours.  I learned that he likes my cooking, thinks American schools are a joke, says church is VERY boring, and having to go to bed at 9:00 is for little kids.  I'm shocked that he likes my cooking but the rest we pretty much had figured out by body language.  Also my new friend helped us figure out QQ for Shane and he immediately connected with his friends in country.  Then last night he had his first Skype with his orphanage.  It was a huge day for him and we saw positive things come from all of it.  I'm saving the best for last which was him reconnecting with his friend Lily from Montana who advocated to find him a family and was from his orphanage. 
Happy to be together again!!
 
 
They talked all afternoon and I sure was curious about what they were sharing with each other.  The person missing in the picture is Zeke but he's enjoying his new home in heaven.  Zeke mom and sister joined in our day too and shared encouragement.  Adoptive moms have a bond that I never understood until I become one of them.  We get each other and understand the hard places we sometimes walk and the emotions that run from good to bad.
 
Selah has went from a emotional, naughty, scared little firecracker to slowly opening herself up to receive love and settle her heart.  We still cry about everyday but then if I'm honest I cry pretty often too.  Emotional females!!  She loves to go and we have been going everywhere now.  She comes back home and adjusts well.  Entertaining herself is still not happening.  She is my tail everywhere I go.  I would rather have her as my tail than sitting on the chair zoned out but I will admit everyone needs time alone.  Getting groceries by myself is away time right now.  She has started coloring finally and its obvious that she has done it before.  So glad to see her settling in and becoming part of us where God has planted her.
 
 
Ready for her first American church visit
 
 
 
This month is more doctor appointments, learning more English, and learning more about love and family.  Things are going normal for adoptions and we are feeling a little bit more back to the new normal every week.  I'm glad spring is on its way which means lots of outside play time and teaching them new things about farming and gardening. 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment